Thursday 23 May 2013

Breaking habits

Ever struggled to break a habit? Breaking habits is a lot easier if you know how


breaking bad habitsFirst thing to say is don't worry about it - we all fall into bad habits every now and then. But how do you get out? How can you get better at breaking habits?

Not wishing to get too dramatic about it but breaking a bad habit or getting into one of the good habits I blog about really can mak a huge difference to your confidence levels. I know this because they have actually changed the lives of some of the people I've worked with.

There are a few essentials to reflect on first though if you struggling with bad habits;
  • Don't try to do too much at once. Tackle one habit at a time.
  • Commit to the habit for 21 days, no less. It takes 21 days to get used to the change and for the habit to form.
  • Write down what it entails and what changes you will have to make in your lifestyle.
  • Tell people about it, don't keep it secret - that way you'll feel more accountable.
  • Track your progress carefully, each day. Keep a diary of events.
  • Think about how you can reward yourself when you succeed.
  • If you fail, work out why and then try again.
  • Never, never, never give up.
OK, so what's first? ... pretty simple really; you need to flick a switch. You need to flick the switch in your head. It's 'off' at the moment. 'Off' means you'll carry on as normal ... in a rut. 'On' means accepting that change is going to happen. You'll never be able to flick the switch though if you don't start thinking positively.

So, good habit Number 1 is Commit yourself

But how?

Commitment comes through self-discipline and positive thinking. Without these, you'll have no chance with any of the other habits you take on. I worked this out when I failed at writing my first book. I failed for one simple reason; I fell into the trap of thinking negatively about it. Eventually I successfully convinced myself that it was a bad idea; I didn't have enough time, knowledge, expertise, ability, self-discipline .....

But when I learnt how to ignore negative thoughts and focus on the positives instead, it wasn't long before Id made a start. Personally, I learnt a lot from this experience - so much that it's helped me with other good habits. In fact, I'd say it's been invaluable. I certainly wouldn't be writing this blog for instance - I would have already convinced myself that it wasn't worth it because nobody will read it. WRONG!

To take on the habit of positive thinking, you'll need self-discipline. Be more aware of when you start thinking and talking negatively. Make a note of when this happens and when you're most vulnerable. Then correct yourself. Do this religiously until you're in the habit. One tip is to stay away from negative people; they'll just make it more difficult for you. So mix with positive people - you'll see a big difference in your own behaviour just by doing this.

Good Luck!
Mike McClement

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mr. McClement.

    I'm the evidence to show that people do read your blog.

    Thanks for the great works.

    Good day to you.

    ReplyDelete